- January 20: Pope Sylvester III becomes the 146th pope, succeeding former Pope Benedict IX, who abdicated the previous year.
- April: Pope Sylvester III is deposed (election deemed invalid); Pope Benedict IX is elected once more, becoming the 147th pope.
- May 5: Pope Gregory VI becomes the 148th pope, following the deposition of Pope Benedict IX. There are growing allegations that simony is taking place during Gregory VI's reign.
- Edward the Confessor marries Edith of Wessex.
- Edward the Confessor begins construction on Westminster Abbey.