- Bernard becomes Bishop of Brandenburg.
- In Ireland, the Diocese of Waterford is erected.
- The first documented teaching at the University of Oxford occurs.
- In England, Norwich School is founded as an episcopal Grammar School.
- The People's Crusade, the German Crusade, and the First Crusade begin.
- Vital I Michele becomes Doge of Venice.
- Peter I, King of Aragon, conquers Huesca.
- The University of Salerno is founded.
- Late April: A large band of Crusaders approaches Speyer and murders 11 Jews.